Use the QR Code in the Forum App to claim an office or conference room wicked fast
We wanted you to be able to secure a workspace with Forum in the easiest, least time-consuming way. So, we added QR codes into the mix. Now, when a conference room or workspace has a QR code next to it, you can scan it on your Forum mobile app and claim it in seconds!
To create QR Codes, you will need:
- The Data Management Utility (DMU) 1.1 or higher.
- Be an Administrator in Forum
- A website to generate the QR Codes.
First, get the URL for each asset that you will use to create the QR Codes
- Use the Data Management Utility to download the existing Asset information
- Open the “MODIFY_EXISTING_ASSETS.csv” and scroll to the far right of the document. It is the last column on the far right called "QR CODE URL" for all assets within your Forum
As an alternative, you can open the asset record from the web UI by going to Settings > Assets > Open the asset record > scroll down to the bottom of the screen and look for the QR Code URL value:
Now you can generate the QR Codes
- There are several free QR Code generators online, QR Code Monkey has proven to be a reliable site with a simple user interface and was used for the creation of this document (https://www.qrcode-monkey.com/). Other customers have also used https://qrexplore.com/generate/ to generate multiple QR codes at once.
- Once at the site enter the URL for an asset (determined in the above steps) into the “Your URL” Field, and add your organization’s logo if you desire by selecting “Add Logo Image” and uploading the image.
- Once the required fields are input and any desired customizations are made select “Create QR Code” This will generate the QR code.
- Select “Download PNG” to download the QR Code as an image. The image will save as “qr-code.png” the best practice is to rename each image to the name of the asset as they are created.
Print your QR Code (Ideas)
You're now ready to print your QR Codes. Here are some ideas on how to display them.
- You can incorporate this as part of your room signage
- Print on a sticker to place on desks
- Frame it in an acrylic frame like this frame and attach to the entry of the room. This is an inexpensive alternative to digital signage.
Can I create QR codes in bulk using MS Word?
You can certainly create QR codes in bulk the same way you would create labels via mail merge. The set-up process is a bit more involved but once you have completed the initial setup, it will become a repeatable process that you can use to create more QR codes in the future. There are different ways to create the QR codes in bulk so this is just one way to go about creating them.
- First, you'll need to create your mail merge template. Below is an example that you can use. This was created in Word.
- Next, follow the steps outlined here: Create QR Codes in MS Word