The User Management Process (UMP) allows a client to transform their user HR data extract into the appropriate format required for the AgilQuest Forum Data Management Utility tool which takes formatted .csv (Comma Separated Value) files as input.
The process is implemented through a database driven ETL (Extract, Transform, Load) process which uses tables and functions/stored procedures that can be created using a database platform (RDBMS) of the clients choosing (i.e. MS SQL Server, Oracle, PostgreSQL, MySQL, etc.) The ETL “Extract” is the client source file produced by the client from their HR source system (i.e. AD, Peoplesoft, etc.). The ETL “Load” is handled by the Data Management Utility tool (provided by AgilQuest with associated documentation as needed). The overview to follow here will be cover the ETL “Transform” process and recommendations related to that step in the ETL process.
The UMP imports the user related data from the HR Feed (flat file or direct DB source). The process applies logic to the source data to produce the files for adds, changes, and deletes (archives) to user information in the AgilQuest Forum to be consumed by the Data Management Utility tool. Once a user is considered “under management” by the UMP, the client user data feed source is considered the source of truth for the user profile information. This means that any conflicting data that is managed by the UMP will be remediated based on what is in the source feed regardless of what a user may manually change through the AgilQuest Forum front end application interface(s).
Minimum Data Requirements
The Forum User Management Process standard requires a pipe (|) delimited .txt file in ANSI format which contains the following fields as ordered (with no field headers).
- Employee ID/Unique ID = The unique field in the data feed file.
- Last Name = Last Name of the User
- First Name = First Name of the User
- Email = Email address of the user
- Status = Status of the user (active/inactive)
Note: Additional data fields can be provided by the client and will be part of the requirements gathering session.
Refer to the SOE located here
- Choose the source system
- Set up a process to extract the data from the source system
- Build the server (Windows Environment) with database
- Setup a process to deliver the file to the server, or populate the database
- Create a user in Forum that will act as a service account for the UMP - see this article
How are users updated?
- User feed file received and brought into DB
- Users in the feed are evaluated and compared to users in Forum
- New users are created if they meet criteria for properly formed user
- User Group(s) assigned
- New users are set as Registered Users
- All users are tracked in the nightly process
- Note about Manually Added Users
- Users can be added manually (Forum UI or the DMU)
- IF the Unique Identifier for the profile (user login) is in the data feed, THEN the profile will become a “managed user”
- Remember: data feed will be the “source of truth”
- IF the unique ID is NOT in the data feed, then that user must be managed manually (ex: test user accounts)
- Identified with a flag such as "Inactive"
- Reservations for inactive/archived users: Workspace and Collaboration Space reservations are cancelled.
User Group Assignment
- Users are assigned to the All Users Group as a default
- User Groups can be assigned automatically based on Rank, Employee Type, and any other predictable data object.
Process Rules for Data Validation
- Records with duplicate LoginIDs are removed.
- Records with duplicate Badge IDs are removed.
- Records with duplicate SAML credentials are removed.*
- Records with blank values for the FirstName and LastName fields are removed.
- Records with numeric values in the FirstName and LastName fields are removed.
- Records with blank Unique IDs and/or LoginIDs are removed.
- Records with NULL Unique IDs and/or LoginIDs are removed.
- Email Notifications: Success Notifications & Failure Notifications
- Includes list of user records that failed the standard user validation
- UMP Daily Execution Log
- User Management Report Log
- UMP Error Log
- Requirement For Email Notifications – SMTP server available